After much procrastination I have kicked off the Video Journal Project. I figure my birthday is as good as any. What this project will be is basically a "goodbye" to making music. I'm re-recording and videotaping 60 "performances" of my own songs spanning from 1993 to now. 15 of them will be from the new album by the Virgo Vertigo, Tabula Rasa. I will also be doing 30 cover songs of music that has influenced me musically in some way over the years. There will be an interesting mix ranging from AMG to Prince to the Police to Slayer.
The video component of this project was supposed to be me blabbing about each song. But, instead I decided to do this written blog and focus on the musical aspect of each video. If people are interested in what I'm doing, then they'll take the time to read (or skim this blog). I figured blabbing too much would make people lose interest in watching the videos and then they would not hear the music. The main reason for the procrastination is that I put on weight (like 50 pounds or so) and I just didn't want to do it. But, I got the idea that this video project can serve as a video time lapse on the way back down in weight. This is one reason that I decided to do the song "Jellybelly" by the Smashing Pumpkins as the first cover (the song is not about that BTW).
The Virgo Vertigo is the performance name I use instead of my real name. I had intended for the project to be a fully functioning band. But, due to time and money I just found trying to do the live show more work than it was worth given the general state of the music industry, my desire to return to the University of Wisconsin, and an unexpected bundle of joy (and sometimes destruction) called a baby. I've played a few shows; a few alone with an electronic computer "get up" and a few with a live band. But, the simple fact is that it was my music. So, I was paying for everything and it was just too much work and money.
At this point in my life I am interested in a new beginning and focusing on career goals in the near future and my kid. I'm not really even interested making music on the side or being in a cover band at this point anymore. I am sort of tired of the music industry. I will always keep a guitar around. But, gigging and recording will be done unless a great opportunity "magically" appears that allows me to actually make music and focus on being a musician and not a band manager, video producer, salesman, marketing, and so on..., oh..., and make money.
So with that, let's get the Video Journal rolling with the first 3 songs....
AUSTRALIA - Song 01
The song is about running away to Alice Springs (of all places) in Australia to escape emotional pain only to realize it "sucks". Not a true story, but someone will be able to relate. As with most of my lyrics, they're "tongue-in-check" and sort of influenced by Ice-T in the Body Count days along with other early hip-hop. I feel like I'm saying something in my lyrics, but I really don't take things too seriously and Australia is a good example of that.
LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED - Song 02
Also on Tabula Rasa as the 5th song, I had this song in my head for about 2 years before I recorded it; the verse riff mainly and that bass line. I knew that it would borrow from a lot of the late 70s and early 80s electro-funk (early Prince, Rick James, Slave, One Way, Yarbrough and Peoples) or what some friends of mine in Seattle call "grown folks music". I thought that was a good name for it because that style of music was what the grown folks was listenin' to..., along with drankin' Schlitz Malt Liquor, smokin' Kools, and other shit that was starting to show up in the early 80s..., ahhhh memories... I digress.
So, I wanted this song to just be a funk jam about infatuation and a first date..., something that would sound good at the clubs if it came to that and that could be mixed with other dance cuts. This was the song what I started using a snare with a clap underneath it as is done on a few of the other songs on the album like, Great Escape and A Song of Symphony. Let's Get is one of my favorite songs on the album.
JELLYBELLY - Song 03 (Smashing Pumpkins Cover)
This is
the first cover that I've attempted for this project. The Smashing Pumpkins are
one of my favorite bands right up to today with the recent release of Oceania.
Perhaps it is because Billy Corgan also has assumed control over the creation
of his music that I value this band's influence (although I'd REALLY have preferred
to have formed a good band unit). That and the fact that a balding guy can be
up front with a bic’d “hairdo”. Like I said above, I did Jellybelly as a dig on myself for
gaining weight, even though the song is not about that.
This song is on Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, which is in my top 3 (if not the top) albums of all time. Jellybelly is the first "rocker" of that album where you can see the prog nature of Melon Collie. This album changed how I did things. I started using the “cyber-rock” guitar effects I use now when this album came out and I saw the Pumpkins at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee. I also started doing more variety in my songs and I tend to think of albums in concepts. I also did a double disk called, “Are U Human?” in 2001 that was influenced by Melon Collie. For me that album came along at the right time. I was diagnosed with Acute Anxiety and sort depressed back then for a bit. I would listen to that album locked in a room all the way through. It was sort of like having a friend I suppose.
About my version.... in all honesty I'm sort of "luke warm" to it. It's not bad, but other stuff will be better. I don't like my voice on it mainly and perhaps I should have cut the drums at a slower speed. But, I have A LOT of material to cover and I'm not trying to be caught up in perfectionism. I anticipate the first covers to be a little "odd". Anyway..., here goes....
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.